Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Allen & Son Barbeque - Chapel Hill, NC

I was in Chapel Hill, NC the other weekend visiting my good friend, The Hup Dog, and he took me to a cozy little spot for some North Carolina pulled pork with vinegar sauce and slaw! Allen & Son Barbeque was the spot. We were prepping to go to the UNC Tarheels host the Miami Hurricanes later on that evening at the Dean Dome, and we had had some sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits at the Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe earlier that afternoon (we'll call it brunch). We drove just a few miles out of town, but I can see that just outside of the main drag and the life in Chapel Hill, it gets pretty spacious and quiet - farmland, to you Northerners like me. Place was delicious! The pork plate was hefty and loaded with awesome mayo based slaw (the way I prefer my slaw - none of that health slaw shit!). I got a pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it. The sauce was obviously a vinegar based sauce with lots of spice. I could taste (and see) the red pepper flakes floating around in it and there were certainly many other spices going on in there too. Lots of flavor going on in the sauce, but I am more of a tomato-based BBQ sauce fan so when in Rome... The fries were just OK, but lets be honest, I wasn't coming here to sample fried potatoe products. I actually may have been more blown away by their homemade pie selection! They must have had 20 different types, made fresh and ready to eat! We went with pecan and a scoop of vanilla ice cream - excellent! (For those of you back home, not quite Luger's pecan pie with schlagg and vanilla ice cream, but then again, nothing is.) The one pie I probably should have pushed Hup to get was this insane chocolate peanut butter pie and another one called the Klondike pie (this one sounded insane, but I figured I would never appreciate a good dessert again after this one). I will be back, perhaps as early as July for the Merge XX 20th Anniversary Celebration, so I wouldn't be surprised to find myself back at Allen & Sons BBQ sampling a Klondike pie all to myself!

Hup's plate of pulled pork, hush puppies, and cole slaw

My pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on it

Pecan pie with vanilla ice cream and powdered sugar

2 comments:

Hupdiggs said...

Like I said, getting a BBQ sandy at Allen & Sons is like ordering the burger at Lugers.

Bob-O said...

I like the burger at Lugers! But I hear your point...